This has been for some reason one of the worst seasons l have known for pets and chocolate. Possibly word is finally getting out or maybe people are just being more careless.
Last night we had 2 “chocolate” dogs in and kept both overnight on drips and treatment as a precaution. One ate chocolate several hours before, the other was more impressive.
He was 15kg in weight (about the size of a cocker spaniel) and the owner rung us up. The dog had eaten an 8pack of mars bars and a pack of breakaway biscuits.
I gave him a little injection in the neck with a rather nasty drug. Nasty because after you have eaten all that yummy chocolate, you are not going to keep it, no matter how hard you try, ahh the bliss of apamorphine.
I sat the owner and partner in a consult room with a load of incontinence sheets and said shove that under when he throws up.
I have to say l haven’t seen so much chocolate come out of a small dog before. The owner was muttering l don’t believe it he got the dairy milk as well, OMG he got the crème caramels, and look he got some quality street.
The vet decided that for safety sake we would keep it in. We did not know how much had been absorbed and the sheer volume had us all shocked as he was just a smallish dog. He had climbed on the counter top into the cupboard while the owners were out. Never done anything like this before, now they had to figure out how to stop future problems.
The photo shows most of the chocolate thrown up but a couple of the sheets of chocolate had been thrown away before l got the photo.